Q. Where do we to look for scholarly journals that can be downloaded as a pdf file?


There's never a guarantee that the article(s) you need will be a PDF; it may be HTML, or it may be a paper-based traditional publication that you need to photocopy or scan.

Where you look depends on your subject.  So . . . look at your topic, then start at the Library's homepage: http://www.csulb.edu/library/ and go to the Research Support column and click on: Databases by topic.

Scan the topics (really, subject identical to, or closely related to, departments on campus), e.g. Business, or Literature, or Social Work.  

If nothing seems immediately likely, then click on the tab labeled: Not sure where to start? Try here.

This tab take you to the Academic Search Complete database which has a) a little bit of everything subject wise,  b) indexes the contents of approximately 5,000 publications, scholarly journals, populr magazines/periodicals, and a couple of newspapers,  and c) the full-text of *some* (but not all) of these publications.  ASC indicates the scholarly journals with an "Academic Journal" icon to the left of each appropriate item; other icons are Periodical (popular) and News (newspapers).

If the article you need is in ASC (or another database) full-text GREAT!  If the article is *not* in the dtabase you are using, don't despair, just click the [Get it @ CSULB] button to see if it is in one of the 180 other databases we have access to.  If we only have the "old-fashioned" way, in print, it will offer you a link to Print and/or Microfilm check OneSearch; you can photocopy or scan to PDF (ring a USB/flash).  If it is *still* not in any of our databases, you will be offered the chance to Request your article via Article Reach, a service to get articles from other libraries when we don't have them.


  • Last Updated Dec 08, 2014
  • Views 101
  • Answered By University Library

FAQ Actions

Was this helpful? 0   0